National Noodle Month is the best time to enjoy a bowl or plate of noodles while learning about the rich history of noodles.
Pho Day is a great day to head over to your local Vietnamese restaurant and order this delicious soup.
National Horseradish Month is a month-long celebration of this popular, spicy condiment.
National Ice Cream Month
Lumpia Day is a great excuse to go your nearest Filipino restaurant and order 50 lumpia for the family, the office, or just yourself.
When is Lumpia Day?
Lumpia Day is celebrated annually on the 16th of March.
FRESH LUMPIA RECIPE
A Fresh take on a Filipino Classic.
– 1 bunch green leaf lettuce (washed and pat dry)
– 1 C sweet potato or yam (thinly sliced)
– 1/2 C of carrots (thinly sliced)
– 1/2 C of acorn or butternut squash (thinly sliced)
– 1/2 cup of baby lima beans
– 2 C bean sprouts
– 1 C stripped pork (thinly sliced)
– 1/2 C shrimp (peeled, cleaned, cut into small pieces)
– 1 medium onion, sliced
– 8 cloves of garlic (mashed)
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp ground pepper
– 2 tsp garlic powder
– 1/4 C soy sauce
– 1/4 C oyster sauce
– 1/2 C oil
– 1 C water
– 2/3 C flour
– 1 C milk
– 3 eggs (beaten)
First beat eggs, add milk, then gradually add flour little by little while mixing until pancake batter consistency.
For Garlic Brown Sauce
– 2 C water
– 1/2 C cornstarch
– 1 C sugar
– 1/3 C soy sauce
– 12 cloves of mashed garlic (add once sauce thickens)
Optional garnish – chopped peanuts.
– Clean the green leaves and set aside.
– Make the wrapper – mix ingredients then in an 8″ frying pan on medium low heat, spray non-stick oil then add 1/4 C batter and twirl pan to spread batter evenly. Do not flip – once the edges peel away from pan, use spatula to remove wrapper and place on separate plate.
– Make the sauce – mix all ingredients except for garlic. add ingredients to a small sauce pan on low heat, mix until sauce thickens, then add mashed garlic. Turn off stove, set aside.
– Boil pork until it changes color and blood floats to top. Rinse and drain pork. Place pork back into pot, fill with fresh water until it covers top of pork and bring to boil. Let cook until water evaporates. In a pan, heat oil and brown garlic, add onions until glossy. Add boiled pork, shrimp and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. In the same pan, heat 1/4 C oil on medium high. Cook string beans for two minutes. Add sweet potato or yam, squash and carrots (cook for two minutes). Add jicama and lima beans (2 minutes). Add bean sprouts (1 minute). Mix all together. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, mix well. Turn off stove and set aside in a bowl. Place a green leaf on top of the wrapper, 1 inch above the edge of the wrapper. Get two tablespoons of sautéed mixture and spread and center to the length of the leaf. Add sauce on top of mixture. Roll the wrapper and set finished wrap on serving tray. Drizzle sauce on top of crepes and sprinkle with optional crushed peanuts.
Ramen Noodle Day celebrates the fulfilling Japanese meal of noodles in delicious broth.
When is Ramen Noodle Day?
Ramen Noodle Day is celebrated annually on the 4th of April.
National Breadstick Day celebrates the delicious and carb filled appetizer and is celebrated on the last Friday in October.
National Pumpkin Seed Day reminds people to save the seeds after carving your holiday pumpkins and salt them up and roast them. This day is celebrated on the first Wednesday in October.
National Bomb Pop Day celebrates the most patriotic popsicle.